Who We Are...
Grapes is Hilo's first and only dedicated wine store. We don't sell beer, hard liquor, cigarettes, beef-jerky, wine gizmos…you get the idea. The store is cozy (200 sq feet!) and specializes in wines not commonly found in super markets. Grapes offers you a selection of over 100 different wines from around the world, with most wines priced between $10-$13 per bottle (of course this doesn't stop us from buying Brunello's either).
The proprietor of Grapes is Randy Nunokawa. Randy is committed to finding you the best wines for the best value. He tastes all wines prior to sale to assure you of quality and to help you with wine and food pairings, (Hey, it's a hard job, but somebody has to do it!).
Some of our first time customers have a hard time finding Grapes. We're located in the town of Hilo on the east side of Hawai'i Island, on Kilauea Avenue between Ponahawai and Mamo Streets; across the street is Subway and Lucy's Taqueria. Yep, this is a small town where most directions are given based on landmarks. Street parking is available as well as the gravel parking lot on the corner of Mamo Street that fronts the downtown KTA Super Store.
MapQuest Directions / Google Maps Directions
Grapes is open Tuesday through Saturday from 12 noon to 6:00 p.m. We are closed on Sundays because that's when Randy plays golf and on Mondays because that's when he recovers from playing golf.
If you're looking for a specific bottle of wine or have a question about pairing wine with a special meal, please contact us. We'd love to help.
You may reach us at (808) 933-1471 or email at email@example.com.
Grapes Gang Newsletter...
Our Grapesvine newsletters inform you of upcoming wine tastings, as well as special events. They give you a description and price of each wine being offered. Meant for your enjoyment, the newsletters can be a bit risque and sometimes goofy. We hope you like them! Click here to subscribe or to view the archive.
Grapes Gift Certificates...
We offer gift certificates so come in and buy.
All buyers carded...
This policy will apply to anyone without grey hair. Love you, too!
It is our wish that you enjoy good food with good friends, and the perfect bottle of wine.
Looking forward to serving you! The Grapes Guy Randy
Grapes 2014 Holiday Hours
For your shopping convenience Grapes's holiday hours are:
OPEN: December 15 - 24, 2014 from 11:00a to 6:00 p.m.
CLOSED: Christmas Day & Friday, December 26, 2014
OPEN: December 27 - 31, 2014 from 11:00a – 6:00 p.m.
Thursday, December 18, 2014
Please join us for Grapes's annual sparkling wine tasting on Thursday, December 18, 2014 from 3:00p - 6:30p.
Looking forward to seeing you! – Randy
Grapes 2014 Holiday Wines
Happy Holidays Grapes Gang!
On behalf of Clarysse and myself, we want to wish you and your family a wonderful holiday season. We further wish you good health, solidarity among friends and prosperity in the coming New Year.
We also want to express our thanks for your unwavering support of Grapes. It is because of you that Grapes continues to be viable during an age of mass commercialism.
Again, happy holidays, and we look forward to serving you in 2015!
GRAPES 2014 HOLIDAY WINES:
Here is our selection of wines that will bring delight to any recipient and cheer to any dining table. Enjoy!
- Pillow Road -- 2010 Pinot Noir, Russian River Valley ($40)
- Cabreo 2008 Il Borgo, Toscana ($54)
- Shafer, 2010 Napa Valley Merlot ($48)
- Four Graces 2009 Reserve Pinot Noir, Dundee Hills, Willamette Valley ($38)
- Lutum, 2012 Sanford & Benedict Vineyard, Sta. Rita Hills Chardonnay ($53)
- Vietti 2010 Castiglione Barolo ($47)
- Blackbird Vineyards, Arise, Napa Valley ($45)
- Spring Mountain, 2009 Estate Bottled Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley ($72)
- Heitz Cellar, 2007 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon ($82)
- Clos de L’Oratoille, 2010 Chateauneuf-du-Pape ($38)
- Macphail, 2010 Pratt Vineyard Pinot Noir, Sonoma ($53)
- Falcone, 2010 Syrah Paso Robles ($34)
- Boroli, 2007 Barolo ($38)
- Tenute Silvio Nardi, 2007 Brunello di Montalcino ($74)
- Louis Jadot, 2009 Pommard Grands Epenots ($60)
- Castello di Neive, 2009 Barbaresco ($35)
- Michel Picard, 2009 Mercury 1er Cru ($26)
- Ferreira 1978 Vintage Port ($84)
- Fontanafredda, 2005 Barolo, Serralunga d”Alba ($42, 1-liter)
- Roccolo Grassi, 2008 Amarone ($65)
- Masi, 2008 Brolo Campofiorin "Oro" ($37)
- Croft, 2007 Vintage Port ($80)
- Broadbent 10-year Old Madeira Malmsey ($49)
- Dog Point, 2006 Pinot Noir, Marlborough, New Zealand ($35)
- Crognolo, 2011, Toscana ($36)
- Domus Aurea 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon, Upper Maipo Valley, Chile ($40)
- Ridge, 2011 Lytton Springs ($41)
- Ridge, 2012 Lytton Springs ($42)
- Ridge, 2011 Geyserville ($40)
- Ridge, 2012 Geyserville ($43)
- Fattoria Selvapiana, 2009 Vigneto Bucerchiale, Chianti Rufina ($34)
- Le Volte 2009, Ornellaia, Toscana ($29)
- Grandoni, Curtefranca ($30)
- Tenute Rubino, 2011 Visellio Primitivo ($33)
- Louis Jadot, 2011 Gevrey-Chambertin ($54)
- Louis Jadot, 2009 Beaune Boucherottes ($48)
- Louis Jadot, 2009 Beaune Clos de Coucheaux ($46)
- Masi, 2009 Costasera Amarone Classico ($60)
- Ghost Block Estate, 2010 Cabernet Sauvignon Oakville Napa Valley ($70)
- Domaine Digioia-Royer, 2007 Chambolle-Musigny ($69)
- Michel Picard, 2006 Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru "Les Chalumaux" ($46)
And a large selection of sakes, plus many more wines!
- Louis Roderer, Brut Premier ($59)
- Henriot, Brut Sourerain ($41)
- Collet, Brut Grand Art ($41)
- Taittinger Brut La Francaise ($58)
- Trouillard Brut Extra Selection ($34)
- Gosset Excellence Brut with carrying case ($48)
- Ruinart Brut Rose ($86)
Grapes Facebook Page!
Please join us on Facebook. You'll get the latest information on special events and great new wines.
Here's the link: